«International Brain Injury Association World Congress Final Program Announced | Home | Brain Injury Association of America Condemns President's Budget Requests »

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a frequent cause of brain damage. 

Here is some interesting information on Carbon Monoxide poisoning put out by Fox News:

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas that has the molecular formula CO.

Carbon Monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels - gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.

Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate when, as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated and the Carbon Monoxide is unable to escape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time.
Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health.
Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having no smell, taste or colour, in today's world of improved insulation and double glazing, it has become increasingly important to have good ventilation, maintain all appliances regularly and to have absolutely reliable detector alarms installed giving both a visual and audible warning immediately there is a build-up of CO to dangerous levels.

Again, Carbon Monoxide has no smell, taste, or color and it is for these reasons that CO Detectors are the only way to alert you to increasingly dangerous levels of CO before tragedy strikes.

Carbon Monoxide poisons by entering the lungs via the normal breathing mechanism and displacing oxygen from the bloodstream. Interruption of the normal supply of oxygen puts at risk the functions of the heart, brain and other vital functions of the body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Have all of your fuel-burning appliances checked by a professional inspector every year.
Don't idle your car in a garage.
Follow all instructions that accompany fuel-burning appliances and tools.
Don't use gas-powered appliances or tools in enclosed spaces.
Don't ignore sudden symptoms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


|

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
Trackback link

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.