«Can the brain rebuild nerve pathways? | Home | New York State Health Department: 13th Annual Traumatic Brain Injury Training Symposium--Call For Presentations»

Fireworks warning from the consumer product safety commission

On the start of this 4th of July weekend, it's appropriate to consider the dangers of fireworks.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) there were 10,800 emergency room-treated injuries associated with all fireworks in 2005. Most of these injuries, 6,500, occurred between June 18 and July 18, 2005.

CPSC recommends following these fireworks safety tips:

Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Avoid buying fireworks that come in brown, paper packaging, as this can often be a sign that the fireworks were made for the professional shows and could pose a danger to consumers.
Adults should always supervise fireworks activities. Parents often don’t realize that there are more injuries from sparklers to children under five than from any other type of fireworks. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move back a safe distance immediately after lighting.
Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully functioned.
Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
Light one item at a time, then move back quickly.
Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.

Be safe and enjoy the holiday.

Tag:

|

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
Trackback link

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Fireworks warning from the consumer product safety commission:

Comments

The comments to this entry are closed.