Webinar: Unique Needs of Veterans and Returning Service Members with Traumatic Brain Injuries
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) is sponsoring a webinar: The Unique Needs of Veterans and Returning Service Members with TBI to be broadcast on April 7, 2014 from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. ET
Military personnel are at an increased risk for sustaining a traumatic brain injury (TBI) due to the nature of military service, but many with a TBI may not come forward because they are unaware of their injury, unsure if help is available, or fear stigma of asking for help.
Being part of military culture presents unique challenges that are not always understood by professionals delivering their care in a civilian community. For example, some veterans and returning service members have co-occurring conditions such as depression or post-traumatic stress disorder, along with TBI, that make it difficult to diagnose and treat appropriately.
How are states identifying military service members who have a TBI to make sure they get referred for appropriate screening and treatment? How are states building cultural competence among health professionals and others who interact with this population? What supports and services offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to individuals with a TBI and their families could complement state efforts?
These issues will be explored on the webinar n April 7 at 3:00 p.m. ET when HRSA grantees and a representative from the Department of Veterans Affairs will discuss:
• How to reach veterans and returning service members when they have not come forward or do not know they have a TBI
• Examples of successful outreach to veterans, returning service members, and their families
• Unique issues facing veterans and returning service members, including women and people of color
• Training and outreach to health care providers, college/university staff, and other professionals to help them better understand the military culture
• Collaborations between the VA and the civilian medical system to help ensure access to appropriate care and services
• Ways that the VA supports veterans and returning service members with TBI nationally and how these programs can complement efforts at the state-level
RSVP by clicking here